Likes Likes:  28
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Asian/PanAm/Chinese Championships

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Li Wenwen.

That's it, that's the post.
    First time she took only five attempts for new WRs, previously she also did three clean and jerks. We need more competitions for her to enter so can we get to 150+/190+ again.

Further thoughts:

Why the hell does the official Asian result book not include any of the actual protocols with BODYWEIGHTS!?

Ali Davoudi seems to be underperforming from this vantage point. I think Iran had hoped more from him at this stage, kind of like Salimi at his age? He's huge like him or Talakhadze. But he also looks like he doesn't really like this sport and would rather play basketball and not weigh 170kg.

Yang Zhe's snatch WR is the first Chinese in any of the male heavyweight categories ever. If we define this as between 100-110kg (Cui Wenhua tried in the 90s).
    He took 222 (which nearly everyone agrees was a good lift) to beat his own national record of 421. Just if anyone's curious why he didn't aim higher to push his luck.

Uzbekistan's two best lifters are in the same category. Bad luck I guess?

The discrepancy between Jang Miran and all other Korean SHW women - which are still good - is quite staggering and I don't know why this is the case. No, I don't think it's drugs.

The Chinese team based on the guidelines posted before "should" be: Li Fabin M61, Chen Lijun M67, Shi Zhiyong M73, Lyu Xiaojun M81, Hou Zhihui W49, Deng Wei W64, Wang Zhouyu W87, Li Wenwen W87+.

And finally: Zulfiya Chinshanlo could win the Olympics ("again") which would be THE strangest story out of the re-test saga.
    Last edited by erpel; 04-27-2021 at 10:15 AM.

2. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nvm
    Last edited by DylanJM; 04-27-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a further look at the continental results and compared the podium average totals to each other (so these aren't just the winner) to get a snapshot of the relative strength of these federations. Asian averages are a bit down due to PRK absence.

5. Likes matej.polak, Hawkpeter, Cinnadom liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice stats erpel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    10 classes is too many for the men and women tbh. I think it would have been better to go with 7+7 and condense the talent into fewer classes. A sessions would be much tighter with potentially 7 or 8 lifters all fighting for a win in some cases.
    I think both could flourish though.

10 categories worked fine in the 90s after the Soviet republics became independent, the entries increased and the competitiveness was actually better compared to the 80s even if absolute numbers decreased. But of course all of them (the male ones) were Olympic, and that's the deciding factor.

We know now that China is never sending any non-Olympic class but even Russia recently with the European champs on home soil didn't bother entering any in the "lesser" ones even though they could've won 1 or 2 on the women's side. Uzbekistan at Asians could've won 102 and 109, but do they care? And on and on...

So under the current conditions, yes 7+7 would've been better. But then those selections would need be based upon proportionality like the original proposal of the technical/medical commission and not political bickering like what we have now.

---
    Partially related: there's still a World championships planned for November this year. With all categories as far as I'm aware.
    Does anyone think this will even happen? And if, who will attend? Will we see a repeat of 2017, only this time rather voluntarily?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    ---
    Partially related: there's still a World championships planned for November this year. With all categories as far as I'm aware.
    Does anyone think this will even happen? And if, who will attend? Will we see a repeat of 2017, only this time rather voluntarily?
    Its also supposed to be moving from Peru to Georgia.

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.sportivnypress.com/2021/...championships/

Mr Charniga has a love/ hate relationship with the chinese ??

10. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Helder View Post
    https://www.sportivnypress.com/2021/...championships/

Mr Charniga has a love/ hate relationship with the chinese ??
    With all due respect, Mr Charniga has no inside information about why many of the Chinese weightlifting stars are injured - and is therefore reaching conclusions without evidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Apologies for the double negative, but I dont want to live in a world where there isn't someone like Bud Charniga making speculative hot takes.

13. Likes Cleddau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Apologies for the double negative, but I dont want to live in a world where there isn't someone like Bud Charniga making speculative hot takes.
    Apologies. I can't always tell when people are posting ironically.

15. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post