Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    An interesting observation on ITG:

"[...] every single medal, all 24 of them, in the lightest bodyweight categories for men and women since the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games has gone to an athlete from Asia.

Post Thanks / Like
    They really need to change the qualification rules because without Moradi Rostami Tao (or any Iranian/Chinese lifter) who the hell cares about 96kg? It's terrible for the sport.

Fares will almost certainly become an Olympic gold medalist at 96kg. Is there anyone there who can even compete with him?

Iran's team is very weak, only Ali Hashemi at 109kg and Ali Davoudi at 109kg+.

Hashemi really belongs at the less competitive 102kg and can be more competitive there. Maybe he can win a Bronze if he hits his PB or close, but probably not. Martirosyan will obviously win gold, Djuraev silver and then the rest can compete for bronze.

Davoudi is still very young (22) but 109+kg looks extremely weak, the weakest I can ever remember. Davoudi should be able to win Silver across the board. Lasha will obviously win gold, with Orsag and the Turkmen competing for bronze.

The winners of these classes are very predictable, which shows the lack of competitiveness. Huge decline since the past few Olympic games. (I'll still watch though.)

3. Dislikes Bulldog73 disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezazadeh View Post
    They really need to change the qualification rules because without Moradi Rostami Tao (or any Iranian/Chinese lifter) who the hell cares about 96kg? It's terrible for the sport.

Fares will almost certainly become an Olympic gold medalist at 96kg. Is there anyone there who can even compete with him?

Iran's team is very weak, only Ali Hashemi at 109kg and Ali Davoudi at 109kg+.

Hashemi really belongs at the less competitive 102kg and can be more competitive there. Maybe he can win a Bronze if he hits his PB or close, but probably not. Martirosyan will obviously win gold, Djuraev silver and then the rest can compete for bronze.

Davoudi is still very young (22) but 109+kg looks extremely weak, the weakest I can ever remember. Davoudi should be able to win Silver across the board. Lasha will obviously win gold, with Orsag and the Turkmen competing for bronze.

The winners of these classes are very predictable, which shows the lack of competitiveness. Huge decline since the past few Olympic games. (I'll still watch though.)
    There's 3 (5 at a stretch) 96s with 400 potential. It's not as clear cut as you make it. Just because the Iranians aren't there doesn't mean it's not competitive. Moradi lokked past it at Asians and Rostami has no one but himself to blame for not qualifying.

Simon is also not a sure thing for the 109. I think Djuarev and him will be neck and neck. There will be close competition for the bronze medal too.

5. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    There's 3 (5 at a stretch) 96s with 400 potential. It's not as clear cut as you make it. Just because the Iranians aren't there doesn't mean it's not competitive. Moradi lokked past it at Asians and Rostami has no one but himself to blame for not qualifying.

Simon is also not a sure thing for the 109. I think Djuarev and him will be neck and neck. There will be close competition for the bronze medal too.
    Fares is the only guy at 96kg who has totalled >400kg before. It's pretty clear cut. There's always an element of unpredictability but that doesn't negate the sheer lack of competitiveness in most of these weight classes.

Moradi was recovering from surgery and even then only totalled 2kg behind Tao at the Asian Championships - did he look "past it" too? Rostami only has himself to blame indeed, although he would still likely outperform most of the lifters who did somehow qualify.

Moradi and Tao would have been the clear favorites for gold and the competition is far weaker and less interesting without them. I'm not really sure how you're disputing this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Has Son not been in the 130/160 range for a long time now? His numbers today aren't massively out of whack with his previous results.
    No, his lifts this year have been a big increase from last year.

8. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chen "Heart Attack" Lijun?

Neat for Zanni btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    13 good jerks in the 67A session, 10 lifters.

Incredibly entertaining though, but please, can we get a lifter to get a decent opening clean next time? Lord have mercy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    No, his lifts this year have been a big increase from last year.
    He did move up a weight class however. Since he moved to 61 today’s result is in a similar ballpark to his two other intl comps at 61kg. Although today is his best by 8kg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Chen "Heart Attack" Lijun?

Neat for Zanni btw.
    I suspect we will see a lot of heart attack at this Olympics, if the first few categories are anything to go by. Zanni's lift was excellent.

unrelated i understand why you quit reddit now

Post Thanks / Like
    Why is that?

---
    I have to say, I'm glad we have the National Games and World champs later this year. Because right now China's overarching goal of attaining 8/8 golds prevents them from WR attempts they're clearly capable of.

Also, my prediction of Mosquera's recent 330 total being a fluke was quite the blunder.
    Last edited by erpel; 07-26-2021 at 01:47 AM.