Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niel Patel View Post
    Same. Between her and the ads, it's brutal to watch on the NBC Sports app.
    I dont have the ads where I am. But she seems to have had an out of body experience - not only did she not know about the challenge, but thankfully, she's not banging on about elbows every rep. In fact she thought Delacruz's lift was good *GASP*

Post Thanks / Like
    I just dont understand not opening at 105 for Delacruz.

Shake my head.

3. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    a) Hou could've comfortably made the snatch & total WR.

b) Whoever signed off the numbers for Delacruz should be questioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    b) Whoever signed off the numbers for Delacruz should be questioned.
    yep, was it Spencer, Gattone or Dimas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Did Delacruz open at 108? Isn't that her best C&J at 6kg more body weight?

Seems foolish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes she did. Her best at W49 is 111 from April, but that was a third attempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    First - anyone watch that sessions (49kg A) on the NBC app? If so, how was stream and coverage generally (i.e. if one just turned off the sound, was it good, OK, terrible?)?

Second - very unfortunate on Delacruz. Because I didn't watch the session, I can't come up with a good rationale for opening at a weight that might be heavier than anything she opened at even as a 55. That being written, picking C&J openers that eventually led to an Olympic games bomb-out has been done quite frequently by coaches with way more experience than Spencer (or Gattone or Pyros) when coaching lifters with more experience than Jourdan. It does appear as if that 108 would have secured her the bronze but, in my humble non-expert opinion, that isn't for what one should be shooting with an opener. . . and I'd have to believe some other (perhaps oddly conceived) tactics were going on back there.

Hope this serves as a "Team USA learning point" and we get on the board in style here. Heck, we have 7 more shots at solid showings (by "solid" I don't necessarily mean "hardware-earning"); Spencer himself has two more shots.

Post Thanks / Like
    What would be best? Open conservatively, miss 108 anyway and finish 4th? Or start at 108, fail to lift it, and come dead last? If her limit is 110, she wouldn't have suffered much if she did 104 or something and secured 4th or even 5th, that is nothing to be ashamed of. If they opened at 108 to have '3 shots at it', then that is game over right there, loser's mentality and already putting fear into the lift. I doubt that is the case as it is noob stuff.

Eurosport player now has the option for 'no commentary' ambient sound only, and killing off Michaela is great. 6.99 euros for the month, access through a VPN if you need to, but its solid. Replays included. Every sport has a stream of its own, unlike many. The BBC had this at the previous 2 olympics, but very disappointingly not this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNL View Post
    What would be best? Open conservatively, miss 108 anyway and finish 4th? Or start at 108, fail to lift it, and come dead last? .

4th is definitely better than DNF. There are other factors to consider as well, such as "momentum." You go out there and make a lift or two and get some good confidence. As soon as you miss your opener, that pressure starts to build, then it gets worse with the 2nd miss and you're in the 'do or die" feeling. Not good.

Plus if you go out and make some lifts, your competitors start to feel pressure knowing they HAVE to make theirs. It really changes everything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Matching Windy's attempts would force Windy to have to go up 3kg each time in order to beat Jourdan. This pressure could've led to her going 2/3 in the jerk and Jourdan could have been a medalist. Silver should have never ever crossed USA's mind given that you're competing against the snatch and total record holder for Gold and the jerk record holder for silver.