Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robo View Post
    Absolutely exceptional and wonderful. But actually quite believable. Italian weightlifting is structured, they support their elite lifters, they have exceptional administrators (urso), well educated coaches, a system based on sport science and NOT doping. They have been on my radar for a long time. Did I predict any Olympic medalists; No...but they would be close. So you can add over achievers when it really counts! One of the absolutely incredible lifts was the tall stringy Davide Ruiu 61kg with a 159kg CJ!!! This kid is going to be great.
    Don't forget Massida(61kg) , Ficco (89kg) and on the girls team, Imperio(49kg) , Miserendino(64) and Durante(76kg) , all of them amazing junior lifters!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niel Patel View Post
    Glad to see Nye got silver after the jury overturned her 3rd snatch attempt
    I personally blame the introduction of the slow-video replay system on the Jury table.

A large number of lifts will contain a flaw if slowed down and studied in detail. But the 'flaws' are so fleeting and inconsequential that the refs usually don't see them on the platform. I notice that none of the three refs gave Nye a "no lift" in their original decisions.

If the IWF is going to keep using this system at pinnacle events then they need to simply and reduce the number of rules. It is very unsatisfying for the audience to watch otherwise perfectly good looking lifts being thrown into the rubbish bin for no obvious reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    At this time, the jury should only be allowed to interfere if there is a challenge card presented. They're butting into the competition and nullifying the refs' decisions too many times in the 76 session. Video and slow motion replay are going to show errors in every lifter; no one is truly locking out all of their attempts. Either the refs are adequate to get the job done or the jury alone is adequate to get the job done.

4. Likes Bulldog73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its actually humorous to watch the jury table during a review. They have a screen in the middle of the jury and the 2 members on each wing are craning their neck to see the footage, then decisions are being made on people's athletic careers, SMH.

As mentioned, the jury is over-ruling judging decisions of 3 white lights. Somehow, a panel of people situated further back and to one side is in a better position to even instigate a review than the judges in front are to assess a good lift. This suggests that the judges are in the wrong spot.

The Olympic games is not the time to be super strict and intervening in the competition. Use continental championships or Worlds for that. Essentially zero athletes and coaches are happy with how the sport is being technically officiated right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough break for Mattie Rogers. going 2 of 6 is heartbreaking but she showed a lot of character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    A large number of lifts will contain a flaw if slowed down and studied in detail. But the 'flaws' are so fleeting and inconsequential that the refs usually don't see them on the platform. I notice that none of the three refs gave Nye a "no lift" in their original decisions.

If the IWF is going to keep using this system at pinnacle events then they need to simply and reduce the number of rules. It is very unsatisfying for the audience to watch otherwise perfectly good looking lifts being thrown into the rubbish bin for no obvious reason.
    Which is interesting because I thought they would deny Mosquera's challenge on his C&J. It wasn't apparent in real time, but in the slow motion replay it looked like he let go of the bar early because he was losing his balance on his feet. They blamed it on the delay of the down signal.

Kate Nye did fail the lift for not following a basic rule, but the refs gave it 3 white lights because it was in technically sound. There was no question about it. I imagine she would have received red lights if she didn't show control of the bar overhead before release at the same height.

It seems over-the-top to enforce the rules to such an extreme degree. It would be devastating to see something like that done where it would affect the placement of 1st and 2nd on the podium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Women's 87+ was absurdly non-competitive. Happy to see medals for both Robles and Campbell regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have any links to full sessions? I'm not able to watch any of the sessions live. I'm hearing all about the spoilers, but I want to watch them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Campbell has a strong, fluid clean (and likely FS). She has the potential for a 300+ total.

I wish Li Wenwen had tried 188. How many people care for Olympic records? Not me.

W87 was unengaging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisG View Post
    Does anyone have any links to full sessions? I'm not able to watch any of the sessions live. I'm hearing all about the spoilers, but I want to watch them.
    All behind a paywall.