Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My god. Lasha goes 223/265 for a 488kg total, setting new WRs across the board. Insane.

Strong performance from 22 year old Ali Davoudi too, with 200/241 for a 441kg total, only 47kg below Lasha (!) but 17kg above everyone else. Davoudi will win a lot of medals in his career, but no golds until/unless Lasha gets injured or retires.

Really good to see 19 year old Enzo Kofi from Netherlands with some brave lifts too.

GOLD - Lasha Talakhadze (GEO)
    SILVER - Ali Davoudi (IRI)
    BRONZE - Man Assad (SYR)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    It was important the jury didn't eventually decide a medal, neither for Hristov nor Naniev.

Also, Martirosyan doing 240 a few days prior on a lark was unprofessional.
    The 240 was 10 days pre comp. I think most lifters would take some sort of max or near max attempt that far out.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's his competition max though. You look like a fool failing with less weight in competition then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever bet on 488 for Talakhadze had good fortune. Because 99% of predictions were limited to:

500 (lol)
    <485 (no WR)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's his competition max though. You look like a fool failing with less weight in competition then.
    Not true. He should be lifting more in training than competition. In training you don't have to cut weight and you can be on your full PED regimen. Plus less stress overall. It would actually be more unusual for a lifter to exceed their training best in competition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erm, missing the context? He's tapering for the competition days away. He's already in Tokyo.

This was a lift to boast and wouldn't have happened without social media.

7. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it was say 5 out days I'd be agreeing but 10 days out is more than enough time to recover from a 100% lift. Sometimes things don't go to plan on comp day, I don't think it makes him look foolish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man Asaad gives off some Ronny Weller vibes with his dynamic starts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    If it was say 5 out days I'd be agreeing but 10 days out is more than enough time to recover from a 100% lift. Sometimes things don't go to plan on comp day, I don't think it makes him look foolish.
    I would generally agree with you, although I'd also say that Armenian weighlifting culture has no sense of self preservation and little of nuance. Look at how their lifters jerk.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone thought, hm Akbar Djuraev's coach looks familiar... well yes, he (Yershas Boltaev) stood next to Ilyin, Uteshov etc. until 2016.