Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The same IOC (oops, ITA ) that struck a deal with the Colombian federation!

How wonderful to know that we have a governing body that really knows how to make good decisions presiding over the IWF's reform.

2. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    The IOC might have stripped the sport of athlete spots but the technical officials sure aren't missing out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    The IOC might have stripped the sport of athlete spots but the technical officials sure aren't missing out.
    It's fucked up that there are more officials (21) in a session than athletes (5-10/session).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    It's fucked up that there are more officials (21) in a session than athletes (5-10/session).
    On a ratio perspective, 1 on 1 sports of course have more officials but it absolutely looks ridiculous having such bloat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it? At the biggest in event WL I wouldn't say so. I'm not sure what relevance the group size has to do with the amount of officials needed? You need a certain number of officials regardless and then a number of reserve officials in the event something unforeseen happens.

You can see it all on the start list. Which officials would you cut from that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post
    Is it? At the biggest in event WL I wouldn't say so. I'm not sure what relevance the group size has to do with the amount of officials needed? You need a certain number of officials regardless and then a number of reserve officials in the event something unforeseen happens.

I think the bloat that can be removed is the Jury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanJM View Post

Ultimately its 51 officials for 196 athletes. The number in a session doesn't particularly matter as its rotational within different platoons of officials. The maximum number of sessions in a day is 3. If costs become an issue for the sport in the future, it might be something that has to be looked at.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the bloat that can be removed is the Jury.
    Unfortunately the Jury is needed to protect athletes against any malfeasance, incompetence, or bias in the event officials.

Having said that, it’s traditionally used as the holding pen for the least capable officials on the roster because they can’t individually disrupt the competition.

I’ve been told that the most important officials at the Olympics are the Marshall and Technical Controller. Consequently these positions are reserved for the Technical Officials that have the highest levels of individual ability.

Post Thanks / Like
    As an aside, I’ve asked somebody involved with running the Olympics what rationale was used for the division of the different categories into A sessions with 8, 9, and 10 athletes.

They tell me that it reflects the requirements of the TV rights holders who have specified the timings they will need for their broadcast schedules.

12. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post