Likes Likes:  40
Dislikes Dislikes:  2
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Jourdan was red lighted on her third snatch which was surprising. Is was VERY close-little wobble in the right arm. Pyrros submitted a challenge card and it was reviewed and denied. The funny thing is, another lifter (Taipei I think it was?) had a very similar elbow wobble and received three whites. My wife and I looked at each other like "did you see that?" "WTF?". It was clear on the slow mo replay as well. I don't want to suggest there was biased judging, but it would appear that way. After all, the judges are human.

After that, it was like Jourdan felt the pressure to bump up in the CJ. it was a poor strategy IMO. They should have focused on getting on the board for her CJ opener (hind sight).

She'll be back (I hope!)

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Matching Windy's attempts would force Windy to have to go up 3kg each time in order to beat Jourdan. This pressure could've led to her going 2/3 in the jerk and Jourdan could have been a medalist. Silver should have never ever crossed USA's mind given that you're competing against the snatch and total record holder for Gold and the jerk record holder for silver.
    Yep, Jordan was 2kg ahead going into the c&j. They weren't chasing at that point. Bad decision making. Plus you can't underestimate the effect of making your opener on your subsequent lifts. She might have gone on to make 108 had she been on the board with a total.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    4th is definitely better than DNF.
    I’ve been in competitions where I’ve had to make similar decisions. Not at the Olympics - but at major international tournaments where the results count.

I actually think the coaching staff made the right choice to open on 108. If you have the opportunity to reach for a medal at the Olympics you should take the risk and never look back.

6. Dislikes Blairbob disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tend to agree with you Cleddau.

The thing I would add is that Aisah was not going to lose to Delacruz yesterday, she had another kilo in her. Now that I've had a chance to sleep on it, whether Delacruz went 105 and 108 successfully instead of opening at 108 and bombing, she just wasnt going to hit any more than that for whatever reason (looked like she had some guardedness of her left hip).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    I’ve been in competitions where I’ve had to make similar decisions. Not at the Olympics - but at major international tournaments where the results count.

I actually think the coaching staff made the right choice to open on 108. If you have the opportunity to reach for a medal at the Olympics you should take the risk and never look back.
    But they were 2kg ahead after the snatch? It is not as if they were chasing the medal. They had the advantage and should have got an opener on the board and gone from there. Pressure would have always been in Windy to make up the deficit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome for the IWF site to go offline during the biggest showcase of the sport.
    Last edited by DylanJM; 07-25-2021 at 04:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That 61A session was brutal. The centre ref gave 3 whites the whole session it seemed like.

Fabin, cut above the rest.

But Eko, incredible career. The list of people to win 4 Olympic medals in weightlifting is now...

* Schemansky
    * Dimas
    * Peschalov
    * Weller
    * And now Eko Irawan.

(**on deck is Lydia Valentin)

Post Thanks / Like
    Igor Son today lifted like Kydyrbayev did in 2014-15, that's all I'm going to say.

12. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Igor Son today lifted like Kydyrbayev did in 2014-15, that's all I'm going to say.
    Someone had to say it. As I have said previously, the Kazakh jr. team (ok, Igor is 22 but he's barely a senior) is lifting the same weights as their cleaned up Senior team. Distinct possibility of finding out the bronze medallist in 8 days, 8 months or 8 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has Son not been in the 130/160 range for a long time now? His numbers today aren't massively out of whack with his previous results.