Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The "Chit Chat" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    To be frank, I do not take "online" competitions seriously. Rules and such may be followed, I still don't care.
    I mean I agree, but neither of our opinions matter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    I wonder how long Nasar/Bulgaria will be able to maintain his high level of lifting under the current testing protocols.
    His entry was 330, compared to 365 from the EWC in April.

Post Thanks / Like
    His entry was 330, compared to 365 from the EWC in April.
    But we've seen China put down like 200 totals for the lulz others in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Agreed. People gawk and fawn over the wrong things in lifting which in my experience and groups notice is: speed, contact (intent or sound), and full extension/layback.
    (proper thread)

see also: pulling stance or jumping/stomping/sliding. Anatomy in general.

Balance, coordination and percipience get ignored.

To go back to speed once more: Mosquera COL is also brought up as a modern example. Ok, he's fast.
    But how many Olympics or Worlds has he won? Zero.
    One could counter with, well if he'd be slower he'd lift less. True, but that is the case for any and all lifters, period.

Speed in WL is relative, and absolute speed has never equaled absolute results. To reiterate, a phantom discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    (proper thread)

see also: pulling stance or jumping/stomping/sliding. Anatomy in general.

Balance, coordination and percipience get ignored.

To go back to speed once more: Mosquera COL is also brought up as a modern example. Ok, he's fast.
    But how many Olympics or Worlds has he won? Zero.
    One could counter with, well if he'd be slower he'd lift less. True, but that is the case for any and all lifters, period.

Speed in WL is relative, and absolute speed has never equaled absolute results. To reiterate, a phantom discussion.
    I've seen Mosquera used as an example of "textbook" technique and I genuinely wonder how you can justify almost falling backward and taking 3 steps to recover in the snatch as part of good technique.

Like performance in many other sports, weightlifting performance and technique comes from the complex interactions within a system, not any singular component. It's not who keeps the bar the closest, it's not who can successfully make lifts with the lowest height of fixation, it's not who can pull the barbell the highest, it's who can coordinate that in a system that works with their own body. Which includes not pressing out, unlike Kang Yue or Won Jeongsik who I have seen used as reference for snatch and jerk technique, respectively.

This applies to technical cues as well. There are many wrong ways to teach the snatch/clean/jerk, but there is no right way. Some are just less wrong for certain individuals. To shrug or not to shrug is such a pointless argument, that still happens. Same with high hip vs low hip, or flat feet.

To borrow a point from a lot of modern physiotherapy, I think it helps to think of technique as biomechanical load management. What's important is to manage and minimise the loading on the "weak link" tissue of the body. Whatever allows you to distribute the stress most equitably, and to avoid triggering a failure threshold of some sort, is the best way to lift.

If your back is stronger, lift with your back more. If your legs and calves are stronger, lift with your legs and calves more. If your upper back is strong, support the bar overhead with your upper back more. If your abs and shoulders are strong, support the bar with your abs and shoulders more. If your elastic tissues are stronger, lift and brake with the elastic tissues. If your active contractile strength/power is better, lift with that more.

Lift, fixate and brake, however your body is strongest. At the same time, develop your body to become stronger in the tissues that act as a failure point. For example, the hip musculature in the jerk.

There are very few fundamental kinematic (to clarify, not kinetic) rules in weightlifting technique, and almost none of them are the ones typically discussed amongst athletes, or even coaches. Even rarer is discussion of kinetics or philosophy surrounding that, and tying it into motor learning and physiology.

It's usually just "do this" because A. it worked for me or B. that's what the L1/L2/L3 manual (or textbook) says.
    Last edited by strapping; 10-07-2021 at 11:06 PM. Reason: i forgot a few words

6. Likes Bulldog73, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waiting for the WWC entry list begins with this post.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.sport.gov.cn/n318/n352/c1007888/content.html
    China's WWC team:

W49 Jiang Huihua
    W59 Luo Xiaomin
    W64 Huang Ting
    W87 Ao Hui

M67 Huang Minhao
    M73 Yuan Chengfei
    M81 Li Dayin
    M96 Tian Fuxuan

---
    Russia's team is not final yet, though they won't send ten per gender either ("where medals are possible").

Post Thanks / Like
    It will hopefully be fun to see Ao Hui and Eileen Cikamatana battle for gold. I am hoping that Huang Minhao yeets the snatch world record. I don't really care what he does in the clean and jerk. I hope Li Dayin's back stays safe and I wonder if Ehab will be there to for them to push each other.

The others are not as outstanding, which is good because they should be in the mix if other countries send their best athletes. W64 was one of my favourite sessions at Tokyo.

I am curious to see if North Korea will attend, their absence at the Olympics was rather noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think China will get more than four golds. Their selection is once again baffling, why not pick one of the multiple W55 girls who can do 220, or for god's sake Peng Cuiting who could set an easy snatch WR. Jia Xionghui for a M61 WR etc pp. It's like the NG results just don't exist. Why Huang Ting who hasn't improved at all!?

Without North Korea it will be terribly boring, again.

Li Dayin will not win unless he snatches 175(+).

Cikamatana AUS doesn't have to lift at W87.

---
    The most interesting result from December will be the announcement of the Paris 2024 categories.
    Last edited by erpel; 10-18-2021 at 06:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah. Not sure why the results are like this. Could be political or some kind of longevity based whatever. Not sure unless someone comes out and says it.

I don't think Dayin is up to snatch 175+ and also clean and jerk heavy, for reasons mentioned above.

Agreed with Peng Cuiting and Jia Xionghui, for the same reason as Huang Minhao. I don't care if they don't break the total WR and win, just let them break the snatch WR and then let whatever else happen