Likes Likes:  66
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Chit Chat" Thread

Post Thanks / Like

The "Chit Chat" Thread

This topic is for one's WL related thoughts without the necessity of a contemporay competition.

---
    a) I find it curious, but unsurprising that Nasar BUL (*2004) was neither entered for Junior Worlds nor Youth Europeans.

b) Broadcaster ARD had a short statement from IOC member Richard Pound (Canada) who said weightlifting is a "traditional and exciting" sport, but because it's "totally corrupt at the moment" perhaps it would help to vacate the sport for "two or three" Olympics.

c) The National Games of China start next month (I'll make a thread) which means we're going to see better-than-Tokyo results in a few categories.

d) The supposed WWC this year still doesn't have a date.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    d) The supposed WWC this year still doesn't have a date.
    The event host has not yet been officially chosen or ratified by the IWF - but the WWC will likely be held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan during the first two weeks of December.

4. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting, thanks. They certainly have the necessary infrastructure still in storage from the AWC/JWC.

Post Thanks / Like
    This topic is for one's WL related thoughts without the necessity of a contemporay competition.

---
    a) I find it curious, but unsurprising that Nasar BUL (*2004) was neither entered for Junior Worlds nor Youth Europeans.

b) Broadcaster ARD had a short statement from IOC member Richard Pound (Canada) who said weightlifting is a "traditional and exciting" sport, but because it's "totally corrupt at the moment" perhaps it would help to vacate the sport for "two or three" Olympics.
    a) It will definitely be interesting to see which competitions they send him to over the next few years, probably the bare minimum.

b) Its an interesting thought experiment - to what extent is the corruption problem connected to the doping problem? Well you'd have to say nearly entirely. Ironically, the doping problem has really had a dent put in it. With few exceptions, full blast doping seems to be down a little, countries with very strict testing are increasing their competitiveness. Being kicked to the curb by the IOC will almost certainly blunt the testing regime that we see now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleddau View Post
    The event host has not yet been officially chosen or ratified by the IWF - but the WWC will likely be held in Tashkent, Uzbekistan during the first two weeks of December.
    Interesting, I'd seen rumours it was going to be moved to Georgia, but Uzbekistan wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

I know the Commonwealth Championships in Singapore have been outright cancelled, and the powers that be are still deciding what to do in lieu of.

Post Thanks / Like

New constitution passed with 94% vote. Things don't look great, but they look better than before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there a link to this new constitution?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not yet.

The final Constitution will be sent to the Member Federations in the upcoming days.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this could work. Weightlifting booted for the 2024 Games, has until 2027 to curate new board, rules, and pool of athletes (that cannot be changed) if it wants to stay in the 2028 Games. This could be incentive for NGBs to not completely defund the sport if there is potential after sitting out a quad to return to the Games.

Post Thanks / Like
    The junior Juniansyah INA has very good jerk technique that should be emulated by Eastern Europe (males).

---

Administrative functions in federations should not be staffed by 80+ year olds. The fact this was an amendment which got voted down at the congress is absurd. Just enjoy your retirement, Jesus Christ.

---

Independent of the IWF/EWF stuff, I'm somewhat surprised Agapitov RUS was not let go by his superiors (Ministry of Sport) simply for lack of results in 2020-2021.

13. Likes Hawkpeter liked this post