Likes Likes:  66
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: The "Chit Chat" Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    The M61/M67 winners are *2003/*2002 and Gusalova & Sotieva are *2004/*2002 respectively. So yes, they have a decent Junior team.

It remains to be seen though, given today, if we're in for sanctions or a (Western European) boycott against Russian sport federations.
    Last edited by erpel; 02-24-2022 at 03:07 PM.

2. Likes strapping, Hawkpeter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was barely born 20 years ago, I don't want to live through all of these world events

Post Thanks / Like
    Where were we? Oh yes, WL.

Deng Wei's retirement surprised me. It's understandable due to the second missed Olympics*, nagging injuries and yes: training age. But I thought she would continue until September. Why? Because despite all her records and titles there's still one thing which eludes her and that's the Asian Games Gold. In 2010 she was sent to Worlds and Youth Olympics instead (which she both won), in 2018 China couldn't participate and in 2014 she lost to Lin who was banned both before and after this date. So maybe Deng herself views this loss with rolling eyes, but still it must sting. This Gold is absent.

Considering the AG are in China and the W64 category is contested it's quite of note that she would decline. Perhaps an assessment occurred which implied that she, still with minor injuries, could lose against Rim PRK - so it wasn't worth the long term prep. Unfortunate!

*in 2012 she could've won W58 as easily as Li did

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot has happened while this forum was down.

IWF Elections are upon us, this could be a significant moment in the history of the sport but surely Jalood is the front runner for next IWF President. I'm not sure how that will be viewed by the IOC or if it actually matters.

Apparently IWF banked its $17million IOC cheque from Tokyo - the mind boggles when considering how that can be made up for in the future if the sport is locked out of Los Angeles in 2028.

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still think Urso and Dimas have more of a chance than Jalood.

Everyone knows Dimas though Urso has got to be well connected. While Jalood has served within IWF, I just don't see him having the same clout. Like Paula or Ursula.

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh yeah, Urso is well connected. That's how he secured the funding for Italian weightlifting to turn it into what it is now. Aside from that he was also on the IWF Executive Board and was really the only anti-Ajan person with seemingly some kind of integrity, prior to the house of cards falling.

Everyone knows Dimas, sure, and that can help for PR purposes but surely that people know by now that Dimas is not to be trusted. Jalood's business background is a little mysterious and sketchy to me, though I'm certainly not accusing him of doing anything corrupt or illegal.

There are a few people who may well retire after Paris, especially if weightlifting is booted from the Olympics. But I'm sure they'll continue to make power plays until Paris.

To me, Urso is the resoundingly correct choice for election. As for what will happen, we can only hope.

Post Thanks / Like

10. Likes strapping, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    Uh yeah, Urso is well connected. That's how he secured the funding for Italian weightlifting to turn it into what it is now. Aside from that he was also on the IWF Executive Board and was really the only anti-Ajan person with seemingly some kind of integrity, prior to the house of cards falling.

Everyone knows Dimas, sure, and that can help for PR purposes but surely that people know by now that Dimas is not to be trusted. Jalood's business background is a little mysterious and sketchy to me, though I'm certainly not accusing him of doing anything corrupt or illegal.

There are a few people who may well retire after Paris, especially if weightlifting is booted from the Olympics. But I'm sure they'll continue to make power plays until Paris.

To me, Urso is the resoundingly correct choice for election. As for what will happen, we can only hope.
    Anybody know much about the Italians? I heard that they were ushered away at the Europeans if anyone non-Italian tried to speak to them, which seems a little odd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wigan View Post
    Anybody know much about the Italians? I heard that they were ushered away at the Europeans if anyone non-Italian tried to speak to them, which seems a little odd
    Probably a tight schedule given they all tended to train every day (and do doubles), and the hotels were some absurd distance away from the venue. Possibly had concerns with covid still and wanted to remain in their bubble as tightly as possible? Not sure, Italy just removed many of their restrictions as of June 1st.

13. Likes Hawkpeter, Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wigan View Post

I think Dr Boffa from ATG will interview the Italian National Team Coach, Sebastiano Corbu,sometime in the future,i've been asking that a lot

Both Giulia Imperio and Pizzolato trained in the day of the competition,if not mistaken Pizzolato had two very short sessions,snatching around 50kg for 3-4 sets,2-3 reps,Torothky posted it on his instagram. Not the first time i see it documented,Charniga also mentioned Kolecki was front squatting in the morning,then competed and won the 2007 Europeans,later in the day.

Magistris (59kg) and Ficco(89kg) are also very talented lifters and will surely fight for total medals in the future.

15. Likes Blairbob liked this post