Likes Likes:  14
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WL at the 14th National Games of China (2021)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think as a coach/spectator/hardarse, I would prefer it to stay. As a lifter watching lifters, I would prefer it removed.
    pretty much feel the same way.

though as a lifter, i'd like to see it clarified just like I would prefer it as a judge/coach. it's just a matter of verbiage and how much of an unlock is acceptable

Post Thanks / Like
    M61 thoughts
    Five DNFs. To finish first, you must first finish.

Impressive snatching from Jia Xionghui, who has improved a lot with his new bodyweight. Less impressive in the clean and jerks and from his coach.

Li Fabin looking in normal shape. Beginning to think his 2019 Worlds performance was a bit of a fluke, or at least an exceptionally good day.

Disappointing from He Yueji. I suspect a bad weight cut or something - no one who has snatched 151 in training and 146 in competition should look like that with 140/141. Let the boy eat, christ on a bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    He Yueji should move to M67 already, everyone up there is old, unlike him.

Ding Hongjie is a Junior through 2022 still and did 306 with only one C&J.

Jia Xionghui also has the M55 record with 130. Will likely never make a WWC team.

Li Fabin is the best competition lifter when it matters, but he's not the most talented if we look at what Chen Lijun or (old) Shi Zhiyong did at M62. Li technically gets outlifted in individual lifts here and there so theoretical numbers for M61 could be as high as 150+180. But he wins, that's what's up.
    Last edited by erpel; 09-21-2021 at 06:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, 61 is not a particularly stacked field compared to what 62 was.
    I guess the removal of the 55/56 category from the Olympics forced that - most lifters moved up a category. The 62 field became the 67s.

I think ultimately both classes got worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    67 recap
    Grandpa won because everyone else lifted less and also missed a lot

6. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shi is Shi is Shi. Waiting for 200+ C&J.

Harsh, Tokyo-like judging against Liu Huanhua and Lu Delin = Li Dayin with a lucky win. Lyu Xiaojun MIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erpel View Post
    Shi is Shi is Shi. Waiting for 200+ C&J.

Harsh, Tokyo-like judging against Liu Huanhua and Lu Delin = Li Dayin with a lucky win. Lyu Xiaojun MIA.
    Li Dayin is looking out of shape coming back from injury. And I can't say I am particularly surprised by either of those statements.

Liu Huanhua seems to have quite some talent. Would be excited to see him up towards the 170/205 range as an 81, or better in a heavier weight category. He has the strength for it, just needs to refine his lifting.

Lu Delin is, despite his unfortunate misses, one of the only (if not THE only) lifters who made sensible weight selections this session. There was an absolute sea of red on that scoreboard, and the number of misses this session made it incredibly underwhelming. Disappointing, even.

Shi wins the 81s, I guess (yes I know the IWF rulebook doesn't technically allow that). Excited to see the 96s, coming up in half an hour give or take.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    Agreed, 61 is not a particularly stacked field compared to what 62 was.
    I guess the removal of the 55/56 category from the Olympics forced that - most lifters moved up a category. The 62 field became the 67s.
    I think the easier answer is Li Fabin at M56 was very good as well, but not the very best compared to Long or Wu. So his ceiling is not as high as some others, he's just more consistent for now. The (domestic) challenge is not as strong at the moment which is why he's not forced to lift at the absolute maximum.

If we compare 318 at M61 to what happened over the course of M62:

Chen Lijun 333 2015
    Shi Zhiyong 327.5 1999
    Su Feixiang 327.5 2001
    Zhang Jie 326 2008
    Yang Fan 326 2009

With this as reference, the M61 record could already be in the 320s. However, who knows how long this class will exist...
    Last edited by erpel; Yesterday at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rest of the classes was as expected.
    Tian Tao again snatched what he did at M85.
    I can see Yang Zhe doing 201 later this year. He's also won four (!) NG now, which takes the same time frame as the OG.

News I've heard:

- the Tokyo 8 don't have to compete at this year's WWC
    - Li Dayin wants to move up a category, but since it's not clear what the 2024 classes will be they can't say 89/96/?? yet.
    Last edited by erpel; Today at 09:01 AM.