Likes Likes:  17
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Boris Severov's training methodology

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    For example, my coach was adamant on taking vitamin C during heavy/long training sessions or competitions to combat the oxidative stress. The research supporting such supplementation show negligible, minor, or unreliable benefits. Another example was when my coach came to the US and encountered bananas for the first time. Bananas have potassium --> potassium is good for muscles --> we eat bananas during training.
    Minor addendum, but the acute oxidative effects of exercise may well be a beneficial stressor that upregulates the body's antioxidation systems. Similar to how anti-inflammatories reduce inflammation and subsequent muscle protein synthesis, or collagen synthesis in tendons, likely leading to poor long term outcomes.

Like yeah, ok if someone is going to train on NSAIDs suboptimally vs not training at all, training is better, but lets not use band aid fixes proactively.

Post Thanks / Like

Pharmacosonation and the Soviets

Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Yeah from what I was told about the combinations of medications and anabolics taken by athletes, the anabolics are the main drivers of success. Several of the medications I remember being utilized were for the heart, which I assume were taken to ameliorate the effects of androgens and hormones being taken by athletes. Other things fell in the family of "holistic" means such as herbals that allegedly influence testosterone (they don't) and so on. Looking all these things up and based on my experience with Eastern European coaches, anything that may have purported performance enhancing effects is going to be utilized. For example, my coach was adamant on taking vitamin C during heavy/long training sessions or competitions to combat the oxidative stress. The research supporting such supplementation show negligible, minor, or unreliable benefits. Another example was when my coach came to the US and encountered bananas for the first time. Bananas have potassium --> potassium is good for muscles --> we eat bananas during training.

It's hilarious when videos like this where Klokov lays out specific supplements he takes as if creatine, multivitamins, carnitine, arginine, and BCAAS are going to have any appreciable effect on performance when you're taking testosterone propionate, stanozolol, and HGH. Know what I'd heard directly from a friend of Klokov's? To paraphrase, "I spent $300 every month on supplements that didn't do anything. I spend half that on PEDs and everything gets better even my eyesight."
    ********************** Many of the the "substances" that were purported by the Soviets I have used myself the VAST majority being very effective-at least for me they were. When Atletika was in existence they had plant "sterols" that in combination were about 30-50% of the effects of AS. I know BECAUSE I TOOK BOTH (meaning AS and other "substances")! And NOT AT THE SAME TIME! When one receives "dubious" results they often 'admonish" anyone else and state- "I don't care what anyone takes they don't work except for steroids". I should have known better than to bring this (subject) up!
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10391

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cccp21 View Post
    ********************** Many of the the "substances" that were purported by the Soviets I have used myself the VAST majority being very effective-at least for me they were. When Atletika was in existence they had plant "sterols" that in combination were about 30-50% of the effects of AS. I know BECAUSE I TOOK BOTH (meaning AS and other "substances")! And NOT AT THE SAME TIME! When one receives "dubious" results they often 'admonish" anyone else and state- "I don't care what anyone takes they don't work except for steroids". I should have known better than to bring this (subject) up!
    http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=10391
    I have no experience personally with anabolics (for innumerable amount of reasons) and I am dubious of any of these substances that are purported to have any outcomes even closely related to anabolics. If it is too good to be true, chances are it is a banned substance. Secondly, there is little research supporting some of these practices such as high doses of Vitamin C, herbals, and so on. Ecdysterone sounds promising but the research is conflicting and if it is proven to be effective, it will become a banned substance in WADA.

You also must take into account the placebo effect which may be influencing things. There was a study that took powerlifters, gave them a placebo but were told it was a PED. The powerlifters expected huge improvements and saw huge improvements in performance simply because they thought they were taking anabolics. If you genuinely believe what you are taking is going to be effective, there is a good chance it is going to be effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cccp21 View Post
    "I don't care what anyone takes they don't work except for steroids". I should have known better than to bring this (subject) up!
    Don't put words in people's mouths. We didn't say nothing works other than steroids. It's just that the supplements are not the important part.

There is a burden of evidence upon those who make claims. There are many good ideas in this world and most of them are coldly ignored by the reality that surrounds us. This is why scientific studies exist, otherwise it's just endless mindwank and anecdotes.

As said before, many of the supportive phramacological protocols make sense, when used to supplement the health defencies that come from anabolic steroid use. There is no evidence to suggest that they confer a benefit in regular physiology.

WADA proactively bans everything that is shown to have efficacy as a performance enhancer, or even rationale for such. Even unknown substances has been added as a category - see BPC-157 in the 2022 ban list.

Placebo is a powerful driver as Brian has noted. I don't care what you do as long as you're not flaunting drug tests, but I don't like people who are selling expensive, untested pharmacology to vulnerable athletes who often have little pay in the first place.
    Last edited by strapping; 10-14-2021 at 04:15 PM.