Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Europeans

Post Thanks / Like

2022 Europeans

At the risk of this forum going down again - here goes.

Has anyone tried the Weightlifting House streaming service? I've enjoyed a new commentary source so far.

The Bulgarians have looked great.
    Evagjelia Veli is the sort of win you love to see on home soil.
    WTF was that 150kg 3rd attempt Snatch overturned result with Asanidze?
    The 81kg men, that was tough to watch, Godelli as ever, true to form.

2. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the Weightlifting House streaming service? I've enjoyed a new commentary source so far.
    I've not tried Weightlifting House's streaming service as they've screwed over a few people in the industry, with those people being in lesser positions of power. They won't try the same with those who could turn it against them, I'm guessing.
    Despite all of their noise about trying to help weightlifting, WLH's main goal is trying to become a big e-superstore for weightlifting. There's nothing wrong with self-interest but hurting other people to do it is wrong, and not helping weightlifting.

I've instead been simply following the results more generally, been busy with coaching, work, a master degree and trying to get to the root of chronic health problems.
    The 89s were interesting. Pizzolato's old shoulder and knee injuries were always bugging him as an 81, so it's unsurprising that his lifting and technique looks much better and healthier at 89. However, it is surprising to see him do 175+217 @ 88.75. A friend and I more or less predicted these results, but with the lifters and weights switched around between Nasar and Nino.

They're the old 85 numbers so it's not unprecedented, but certainly far more than we've been expecting as of late. It will be interesting to see the other 89s shaping up, I'm assuming we won't see Tao until Worlds or until he decides to troll at some Chinese competition again.

The Bulgarians have looked great.
    Broadly, yes. This comment was made a few days ago (before 89s) but Nasar looked unhealthy to me. Not injured, but maybe a stomach bug or something. And in his own head, which any competitor understands. Can't always be your day. The Bulgarians are also looking like they are being typically suspicious.

The Georgians look unhealthy across the board this year. I can only speculate as to why, but they all just look a bit sick and not sharp. I figured Talakhadze was injured the moment I saw the video of his 211 snatch (first pull and catch way off compared to normal), then saw the comments and the knee wraps.

WTF was that 150kg 3rd attempt Snatch overturned result with Asanidze?
    #abolishthejury

The 81kg men, that was tough to watch, Godelli as ever, true to form.
    So too were the 73 men judging by the scoreboard. I thought from the entry list that the session would be either very interesting or a bloodbath and unfortunately it's the latter.
    Godelli took three attempts to bomb out this year, as opposed to the one attempt last year. Where does he go from here? It's a championship, so he can't take 5 attempts to bomb in the snatch. Maybe 1/5 and pulls out the third CJ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Following on what Strapping pointed out, I think Pizzolato's performance was probably in excess of what was expected, so that's great to see. And in the jerk at least, it appeared he was capable of perhaps a bit more. With Nasar, I think the only thing holding him back is mental. Physically he is capable of all the weights he missed, but something is just a bit off. Almost like he's more concerned about missing the lift as opposed to making it. Compared to teenage phenoms of the past in roughly this same weight division, like Ilya and Kolecki....those two were absolutely fearless, even at 18. I don't see that yet from Nasar but time will tell.

Hopefully these two will continue to push each other to higher and higher results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    I've not tried Weightlifting House's streaming service as they've screwed over a few people in the industry, with those people being in lesser positions of power. They won't try the same with those who could turn it against them, I'm guessing.
    Despite all of their noise about trying to help weightlifting, WLH's main goal is trying to become a big e-superstore for weightlifting. There's nothing wrong with self-interest but hurting other people to do it is wrong, and not helping weightlifting.

Geez. I'm always the last to know this sort of stuff.

Yeah Nino looked extremely solid, the speed from the floor is outstanding and I agree he has benefitted so much in stability with the weight gain.

Will we look back at this competition as the first chink in the armor of Lasha? His bodyweight appears to now be slightly too much, we can speculate on why that has been allowed to creep up over the last year plus.

A few female lifters whom I didn't know much about certainly took my interest. Solfrid Koanda and Marie Fengue I'm embarrassed to say I havent paid attention to, not surprisingly the Ukrainian women did very well. Emily Campbell looks set for another Worlds medal as well - such a consistent lifter in competition.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to the Georgian physio, who just posted on IG, looks like Lasha had an adductor tear back in April which explains his lower total.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by strapping View Post
    *eating popcorn and awaiting more deets.*

On the topic of Euros, Nino's performance is by far the greatest one of this competition, even though Lasha's 462kg total is still heavy enough to win the majority of Olympic Games. I'm not sure what most of the Asian lifters can do relative to this total. I do not suspect Dayin to jerk over 210 given how soft he is catching the jerk relative to other more solid power jerkers (Dimas and Kakhi). Tao and Rostami are likely the only one who could possibly challenge Nino assuming the cut does not affect them drastically.

8. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkpeter View Post
    Geez. I'm always the last to know this sort of stuff.
    It wasn't super public knowledge but I thought it'd be fun to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Their advertising gives me the ick given the background knowledge.

Will we look back at this competition as the first chink in the armor of Lasha? His bodyweight appears to now be slightly too much, we can speculate on why that has been allowed to creep up over the last year plus.
    Bodyweight could be a component, though I think subjectively and intuitively (nothing empirical) the entire Georgian team looks a little bit unhealthy or sick. I do think that continuing increases in bodyweight could become an issue in the braking/amortisation of the snatch and jerk, however I wouldn't be confident saying that it's a causative factor in this case. Increased body fat does increase risk of tendinopathy and general injury through increases in chronic, systemic inflammation but that's super general and it would be a big reach to suggest that's a direct factor at least without further information.

A few female lifters whom I didn't know much about certainly took my interest. Solfrid Koanda and Marie Fengue I'm embarrassed to say I haven't paid attention to, not surprisingly the Ukrainian women did very well. Emily Campbell looks set for another Worlds medal as well - such a consistent lifter in competition.
    Completely understandable - Solfrid Koanda started weightlifting in 2020 (!), coming from a CrossFit and general lifting background. Very fast progress in two years, and helped by the fact that she's one of the rare women who is well built to be an 87 - 1.66m, big chunky skeleton. Not just a 76 who got pushed up by politics.

EDIT: 1.66m not 1.66cm. 1.66cm would make her extremely chunky.

Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    On the topic of Euros, Nino's performance is by far the greatest one of this competition, even though Lasha's 462kg total is still heavy enough to win the majority of Olympic Games. I'm not sure what most of the Asian lifters can do relative to this total. I do not suspect Dayin to jerk over 210 given how soft he is catching the jerk relative to other more solid power jerkers (Dimas and Kakhi). Tao and Rostami are likely the only one who could possibly challenge Nino assuming the cut does not affect them drastically.
    Rostami and Tao could both be excellent 89kg lifters, though both are always wildcards. Tao's knee and elbow health is a big question mark, Rostami's everything is a big question mark. IMO Dayin's biggest enemy is Team China's physiotherapists and weightlifting coaches, 210 in the clean and jerk is secondary. His cycle of injury has been ongoing and regressive.
    Last edited by strapping; 06-07-2022 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my guys was competing in Albania and saw Lasha in the training hall a couple of days out miss a 210 clean and then pack up and promptly leave the hall

11. Likes Blairbob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We probably dont see him again till Worlds.

We'll probably see some footage of an easy day out at Georgian Nationals in a few months time but otherwise he has a lot of time to recover for Lima.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lasha had a nasty adductor tear cleaning 260kg,very impressive that he was able to compete but the 253 attempt was unnecessary,considering that Lalayan had missed 252kg twice and opened with 240kg,Lasha had the gold with 245.

14. Likes Blairbob liked this post