Likes Likes:  60
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 94 of 100 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Jon North thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnadom View Post
    Too bad we'll have to wait until 2020 to actually see him officially compete.
    Apparently not, he’s free to compete from Feb 19, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    He definitely didn’t get strong enough during his prime. Mash was really forcing him to focus on getting stronger in 2014. Indeed, he made 500lbs plus in the Squat before his last 170kgs + snatches.

If he’s at all serious about competing next year he’ll dedicate time to squatting this year. We’ll see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by b_degennaro View Post
    Jon purposefully failed squats to get out of doing them or would pull the stunt of doing it when Glenn wasn't looking.
    I can definitely believe that, plus it shows his laziness. Pendlay's system is no doubt demanding, but everything I've seen is not so intense/super high volume that "crushka" becomes an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
    He definitely didn’t get strong enough during his prime. Mash was really forcing him to focus on getting stronger in 2014. Indeed, he made 500lbs plus in the Squat before his last 170kgs + snatches.

If he’s at all serious about competing next year he’ll dedicate time to squatting this year. We’ll see.
    He won't. Squatting is too tough for him and not as glamorous.

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka Palazzo View Post
    Well he did say in a Barbell Shrugged interview that "there is no squat" in weightlifting. All you had to have was a strong pull and have perfect positions and the weights will just rocket up.
    His best C&J is what, 192 as a 94?
    Last edited by psstein; 02-07-2018 at 12:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well he did say in a Barbell Shrugged interview that "there is no squat" in weightlifting. All you had to have was a strong pull and have perfect positions and the weights will just rocket up.
    I hate when he talks about lifting technique it pisses me off so much because he bitches outta starting any sort of discussion by immediately saying "this is what works for me and I only know how to teach how I lift". Its such a cop out to say wild or innacurate shit and then say "well its how I do it, I'm no coach".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by psstein View Post
    His best C&J is what, 192 as a 94?
    A quick youtube search shows 195 as a 94 lifter with mdusa. Since he left mdusa his c&j never was the same, even with stronger legs. Post mdusa he did increase his clean with a couple of kgs but always bailed/"going for a heavy clean" on the jerk when the weights got to around 190 and above. He definitely needs a coach that tells him that snatching is done and it's time for clean and JERKS.

Quote Originally Posted by PVCPipe View Post
    I hate when he talks about lifting technique it pisses me off so much because he bitches outta starting any sort of discussion by immediately saying "this is what works for me and I only know how to teach how I lift". Its such a cop out to say wild or innacurate shit and then say "well its how I do it, I'm no coach".

His technique repertoire could make a awesome heavy metal album
    DISC ONE: THE DARK ORCHESTRA
    1. Horses out of the Gate
    2. Superman Pull
    3. Arched Angel
    4. Angel Drops
    5. Hit and Catch
    6. Jack Hammers
    Bonus track:
    Mr Miyagi

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently not, he’s free to compete from Feb 19, 2019
    According to the USAW website his ban is listed as being complete on Feb 1, 2020. Which makes sense because his ban was previously listed as being 2 years from un-retiring, and he officially signed those papers Feb 1 of this year. Unless they have is listed wrong themselves somehow.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightli...tioned-Members

Post Thanks / Like

His technique repertoire could make a awesome heavy metal album
    DISC ONE: THE DARK ORCHESTRA
    1. Horses out of the Gate
    2. Superman Pull
    3. Arched Angel
    4. Angel Drops
    5. Hit and Catch
    6. Jack Hammers
    Bonus track:
    Mr Miyagi
    Early contender for comment of the year

8. Likes mb_here, Arthur, Blairbob, mbasic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too bad we'll have to wait until 2020 to actually see him officially compete.
    According to the USAW website his ban is listed as being complete on Feb 1, 2020. Which makes sense because his ban was previously listed as being 2 years from un-retiring, and he officially signed those papers Feb 1 of this year. Unless they have is listed wrong themselves somehow.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightli...tioned-Members
    https://instagram.com/p/Be4FopkAzDS/

He says different so I dunno

Post Thanks / Like
    https://instagram.com/p/Be4FopkAzDS/

He says different so I dunno
    I wonder if he didn't officially retire until partway through the ban so maybe they're considering that as time served already? Guess USAW hasn't updated their listing then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides what Brian said about Jon and Squats, Jon would often try to bargain down squats if he hit a certain weight or PR.

At MDUSA it seems he did 235x5 and he did hit 272 when he was in Oregon (under Mash programming and like 105). Jon often called himself a "weak" squatter but hell, his squat was a helluva lot stronger than most ppl. In comparison to other big name lifters, maybe he was weak but maybe it was also something of a humble brag.

He's been looking smaller for awhile now even in the low 90s and he did mention competing at 85 which based on his BF, I would think is doable.

Seems like his best squat recently is 215 so I'm sure even doing some squatting a few times a week he could get back to 230+ by next year at a lighter BW. At least for his AN followers.