Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rep System

Post Thanks / Like

Rep System

Any possibility of this?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a question for Twisted. I'm on the fence about the idea. bb.com is the only website that I've seen use it, and it creates an interesting dynamic.

Post Thanks / Like
    based on other forums I've used the classic "rep" system on:
    if you allow only positive rep it ends up being ignored by most users.
    if you allow positive and negative rep it ends up breeding elitist douche-nozzles; clicky groups form and gang up on people, etc.

I like the idea of seeing a post you appreciate and want say "thanks man" or "yes I agree with this" without having to post a reply. On some of my forums I've been playing around with alternative systems that allow you to "like" someone's post or click to say "thanks" to someone's post. these give you an avenue for expressing your gratitude or agreement without having to write a comment and tends to not have the same kinds of problems as a rep system.

I saw one system recently that gave you options of: "like, dislike, agree, disagree, funny, thanks" and you could click more than one option. I'm pretty sure I could make that one happen it would just take some time.

I've been looking at my options but it will be a few days at at least before I implement something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuck the rep system.

Post Thanks / Like
    A thanks option would be good. Not too fussed by like/dislike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    if you allow only positive rep it ends up being ignored by most users..
    Sadly, this tends to be true but it is the only option that I prefer. Having a only positive agreement system would be awesome but not very effective.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best rep system on the internet is Slashdot.org they've had more or less the same system since 1998 and works every bit as good now as it did then. Sadly it's completely custom and way to complicated to duplicate in a reasonable amount of development time.

http://www.everythinginmoderation.or...n_scheme.shtml

Post Thanks / Like
    Reps are meaningless if you don't know who repped. I prefer to spend time hanging out and reading posts, getting to know the voices, realize which ones have a good reputation based on discussion, what are their general philosophies around training or otherwise, and judging their contributions based on my observations.